Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Word of the Week Wednesday

Hello my Wednesday raviolis. Today's word follows yesterday's post about my visit to the Whaling Museum in New Bedford, MA. So today's word is:

  "whale"

Whales are not fish but large, intelligent, aquatic mammals. They breathe air through blowhole(s) into lungs (unlike fish who breathe using gills). Whales have sleek, streamlined bodies that move easily through the water. They are the only mammals, other than manatees (seacows), that live their entire lives in the water, and the only mammals that have adapted to life in the open oceans. Whales have hair (although they have a lot less than land mammals, and have almost none as adults).  Whales are warm-blooded (they maintain a high body temperature) and they have mammary glands with which they nourish their young.  

The biggest whale is the Blue Whale and can measure 94 feet in length. 


 It is also the loudest animal on Earth and is larger than any of the giant dinosaurs were.



The smallest whale is the dwarf sperm whale which as an adult is only 8.5 feet long.

The species makes slow, deliberate movements with little splash or blow and usually lies motionless when at the sea's surface.  It is about the size of a dolphin so this is a small whale.

Whales are pretty creatures and they are fun to learn about.  Remember, to use the word whale in three sentences today.  Did you guess which whale species if grandma-ma's favorite?  Well I will tell you in my sentence below.

My first sentene of the day with the word whale in it is:  "Grandma-ma's favorite whale is the Sperm Whale."  Do you know why?  Let me tell you, I like the shape of this whale, it looks the most friendly to me.

Have a "whale" of a day my raviolis.  Love Grandma-ma

No comments: